Prevention is better than a cure. Here is how you can benefit from our preventative maintenance program.
1. Roof: Check roof, vents, skylights, and chimneys for leaks. Repair as necessary.
2. Attic: Check to see if gable vents are open year round to ensure proper ventilation, in absence of ridge vents.
3. Gutters: Check to see if gutters and drain pipes are clogged with leaves. Drain outside faucets during winter.
4. Fireplace: During fall, check the chimney for loose or missing mortar and have the chimney professionally cleaned. Check to see if the damper closes tightly. During spring, leave the damper open for improved ventilation if the home is not air-conditioned.
5. Filters: Check and clean the dryer vent, air conditioner, stove hood, and room fans. Clean or replace filters periodically.
6. Safety Equipment: Ensure that all smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, and fire extinguishers are in good working order. Replace batteries in appropriate devices as needed.
7. Air Conditioner: During fall, remove window air-conditioners or put weatherproof covers on them.
8. Refrigerator: Ensure that the refrigerator door seals are airtight to reduce the electricity bills. With a coil-back refrigerator, vacuum the coils at least twice each year because the refrigerator runs more efficiently with clean coils.
9. Faucets: Check for leaky faucets in the kitchen, bathrooms and washers.
10. Windows and Doors: Check to see if all the doors and windows are sealed property to prevent hot and cold air for escaping. Replace seals as needed.
11. Storm Windows and Screens: During fall, take down screens (if removable) and replace it with storm windows. During spring, clean and remove storm windows (if removable).
12. Siding and Paint: Check for cracks and holes in house siding or paint. Replace caulk if necessary.
13. Basement: Check the basement walls and floor for dampness. Clean the dehumidifier regularly.
14. Heating System: During fall, have the heating system serviced and change filters.
15. Hot Water Heater: During fall, drain the hot water heater and remove sediment from the bottom of the tank.